Monday, October 20

Saas Bahu Aur Sansex



This would be the first Bollywood movie I saw while in India. I'm pretty sure it means Daughter's in law, mother's in law, and sensex, which for anyone not paying attention to our global financial crisis is like nasdaq for India.

All in all, I give this movie a solid B. Although, I give it that in terms of it's Bollywood status I have to admit. The plot follows a mother and daughter, the mother newly divorced (gasp!) who move into an apartment complex to create a new life. The sullen daughter meets a kind young man who helps her get a job, and of course whom she falls for. However, he is 'dating' a slut of a woman who uses him for money. This plot line is quite easy to follow, and in my opinion the least interesting part of the movie.

The mother however, is a surprisingly strong and independent woman. In the wake of a divorce, quite a shameful, nearly unheard of thing in India, she manages to create a new life for herself, making friends with other women in the building, who choose to overlook her marital status. She decides eventually to invest in the stock market, which sparks a relationship with the quirky, socially inept stock broker she sees, and puts in his place! She gets all the other women involved, and they all find a new strength and solidarity they didn't realize women in India could have. Of course everything comes up roses, but I loved that the main character was so strong and fought so hard to become her own woman so late in life. They even made fun of how gossipy and judgmental women in India can often be, which I thought was refreshing.

All in all, not great, but still pretty good, with an overall good message. Not gonna be a blockbuster hit, though, lol. And just in case you were wondering, the movies are in Hindi, but they say 30% of the lines, and always the important ones (i love you, will you marry me, and the like) in english.

1 comment:

Aneela Maharaj said...

Thanks for the review. I was debating whether or not to see this, and I chanced upon your blog. Best wishes for the year of traveling, and great idea for a blog!