Wednesday, October 22

Jaipur

Ok, so I was a little less impressed with Jaipur than other places. One of the great parts about it are all the monkeys present everywhere! There are tons, and tons of baby monkeys as well. I was laughing like a schoolgirl the whole car ride, watching them prace between buildings.

Jaipur is called the Pink City, because once upon a time, before polution and general decay, every building was made of a pink stone. Most of it now looks burnt orange, but some buildings are being built, and some have been restored, and it really is a beautiful deep pink! We visited the normal sites, but I couldn't understand a word our guide said, and so was mainly a little bored.

However, we did get to go shopping! I bought a bunch of Ali Baba pants, and a beautiful blue saree, of which I will take pictures when I wear it for Diwali and put on here. It was in relative terms very cheap, but let me say this: If you ever go shopping with a guide, it will be to the more expensive places. If you want cheap, go shopping on your own later. Take a day, ask your hotel manager where the nearest market is, say you want to buy vegetables. They will just send you to the nearest market, which will inevitably have all the clothes, and all the other souveniers you've been wanting, at half the price, and that's before you haggle. Trust me, this is a good plan.

No comments: