Monday, October 20

Old Delhi: Jama Masjid

This was our next stop. The Jama Mosque, the oldest mosque in Delhi. If you want to take a camera you have to pay a fee, and since I feel awkward taking pictures inside holy places, I opted to just not take it. We also had to pay for a cover up robe, because we were wearing half sleeved shirts. I wasn't incredibly impressed by the mosque. It was large, and ancient, and it did have a great view of the city, but other than that it was just a large stone place with lots of people sitting around it.

However, the markets around the mosque are something else all together. Walking from the car was a scary experience, because I still haven't seen a busier street. It was completely filled with people, hundreds of rickshaws and cars, and so many animals! There were inumerable stands selling food, and thus hundreds and thousands of flies and hornets. And let me tell you, bugs in India are at least 3 times the size of those at home. Those of you who know me well can imagine how I handled the hornets. A funny site were the few food stands without any bugs, which of course means they sprayed bug spray all over their food, not a more appetizing choice. There were also lots of stands with huge cages full of chickens packed together, which they would take out, one by one, and chop off their heads. Then they would throw them into a new cage where they would sit for hours on the hot sun. Everyone has elected to be vegetarian. On a happy note, I got my first marraige proposal, which went something like this.
Me, dodging past killer bugs and whimpering quietly at their size, making a mad dash through hundreds of people for the car
Man: Excuse me
Me ignoring him, mostly to avoid looking at the bugs
Man: Will you marry me please?
Me look back and burst out laughing, feeling quite absurd.

No comments: