Wednesday, October 22

Day 2: School and Unrest

So, today I went to a school which was for mentally and physically handicapped children. You can tell by now I'm sure that the coordinator didn't know I was to be in a hospital, and so has not placed me there. He has also spent all of his time with me complaining out the other two girls, who dislike the orphanage they are staying at and would like to stay at his house. The school was boring. I could do nothing with the children, and all they had me do was sit in a room with them and give me their books. I'm not good with children, I don't like them, and obviously there was a very big communication barrier. I didn't feel I did anything worthwhile, and I felt there was no effort made by the administration to utilize the volunteers either. At least it was only 2 hours.

I met the other girls at the mall, to see how they were, and they were not ok. They are both staying at the orphanage, and they too have no structure. They help teach english for half an hour, and other than that they are simply expected to hang out with the girls. They have no privacy, and basically they are upset because it is so disimilar from both what they were told it would be, and from what we know volunteering to be in the U.S. In the states when you volunteer you are busy the whole time, and they make sure to use you productively, because they don't like to waste bodies. You usually have to go through some sort of training to make sure you can actually be productive. Let's just say it's not like that here, and for the most part it's just frustrating. Hopefully this gets better.

No comments: