Thursday, October 2

First Impressions

Ok, ok, so I said earlier I simply couldn't be prepared for India. This is about my first impressions simply at the airport and on my ride from the airport.

First of all, the airport sucks, it's small, doesn't have an ATM, and doesn't sell cute little souveneirs. I checked. Secondly, India is HOT. GARAM. I mean it is beyond belief. I've been to Jamaica and the Bahamas in the height of heat, and it simply does not begin to compare. I have a theory about this. Obviously the humidity has something to do with it. It is so humid the air forms a little bubble of extra heat around you. But even worse, the dirt, of which there is a lot, gets stirred up,and held in the humid air, only helping the bubble of said heat bake you like a thanksgiving turkey (which I'm going to miss by the way).

The next thing I noticed was how dirty it is. I mean, dirty, Like dirt and earth and filth everywhere. most of the roads are dirt, if they aren't dirt they're gravel, and if they're paved they have dirt all over them from the side of road. All of India seems to be a big dumpster, so you see trash everywhere, and I mean EVERYWHERE. On top of that there are people everywhere, walking, sleeping, usually on trash, making more trash, begging, shopping, with women carrying huge bags of reeds on their heads in the middle of Delhi.

Delhi is a huge city, like any other capital, but it simply is not metropolitan. People have been complaining about how it's so modern now. It's not. These complainers are crazy. It's dirty and most of it is half built and abandoned. The driving is completely indescribable. It is so crowded on the roads, and there are no lanes, or turn signals. People honk because nobody has side view mirrors. Which makes it unbearably loud, and people are always almost sideswiping because the definition of India is selfish, and people move and expect the waters to part. It is absolutely ridiculous. And imagine the worst most potholed road you've ever driven on. Lacy, I'm thinking of New Orleans right now. Multiply that my 20. That's the roads here. It's insane. I'd like to go on, but there are other blogs to post so, namaste.

4 comments:

Efraín Quilen said...

This sounds exactly like the way I imagined it xD How about the food? Is the food any good?

Efraín Quilen said...

Btw, did you notice you don't have a facebook account anymore?

Larry said...

Well at least you a nice place to stay and are being treated with respect and support by the group who placed you. Seriously, I tried to convince you to do an internship on Thailand, but noooooooooo. You had to go to India. Have you figured out now why India is never on anyone's must see vacation list. Good luck honey. Love, Dad

Jack Out of the Box said...

Hmmmm... i just about managed to stumble upon your blog. and was funny to read your objective views on the exact state of the city and the country! Wonder how did the rest of your trip go, and hope that your last impression was way way better than the first ones!