Wednesday, October 22

The Road to Agra

The trip to Agra (the site of the Taj Mahal) was my first experience with Indian highways. And by highway, I mean a 2 lane road, which people and animals constantly causing the driver to come to an abrupt stop from 60 mph, and swerve practically into the trees on the side of road. About 1-2 times an hour, we would think were about to die, and I'd like to say the driver was used to it and wasn't worried, but the sound of him sucking in his breath and the grip of the steering wheel let us know we had legitimate concern. I wish I could describe the roads better. There are rarely cities to be driven through, though when we do it's literally on the main road, so highway status even by India standards disappears. And of course, animals, and strangely people, always think they have the right of way, and the constant honking (which they do because no one has sideview mirrors) doesn't seem to help. Apparently traffic deaths are incredibly common here, usually bystanders. Big surprise. Luckily, we lived.

The hotel we stayed at was all right, but really, I wish people in India believed in blankets. I have yet to discover anywhere that believes in blankets, including the place I'm staying in Gurgaon, and since it's so hot you have to sleep with the fan on, that means I'm freezing from the constant air flow. There's just no winning.

No comments: