Thursday, October 16

My First Week's Digs

So, for the first week I'm staying at an apartment in Gurgaon, an expensive suburb outside of Delhi. This first week is meant to be a cultural immersion week, with some sightseeing and language courses to help us adjust to life in India a little more smoothly.

The apartment is small, with two bedrooms with 3 beds each. Most surprising are there are western style toilets, though there are strange open type showers (hard to describe) and sadly enough no hot water anywhere.

There are three other girls here, Steen and Ditte, both from Denmark, and another Jessica from Montanna. They are all very nice, and sarcastic which of course means we get along splendidly. I have to admit when I first got here I broke down crying from the stress of travelling and the lack of sleep. While you can always prepare yourself for culture shock, it becomes much more real in a truly third world country, of which I will talk much, much more about later. For now let's say I feel fine about where I'm staying, even if the markets here are difficult to traverse and everything is overcrowded and oversmushed. I know it'll be all right.

No comments: