Wednesday, October 22

Ambulance

So, my first day was working in the ambulance. And by ambulance I mean an ambulance used to hand out medication to old people, basically a medicare bus. I did, nothing. We got to cut up pills, and slightly talk to the doctor. That was it. The other guy who was with me, poor soul,isn't even interested in medicine. And our seats got switched numerous times, because the medical student was supposed to sit next to the doctor, and the other guys couldn't believe it was me and not the guy. The guy got talked to more. It was my first actual brush with sexism, and it silently infuriated me. To be honest, it wasn't deliberate, or obvious, it was more just a dismissal of me and my opinions because I'm a girl. If you think I'm making it up, the guy with me noticed too. It was nothing easily pointed out, there was no way to comment on it, because they did it without realizing it was wrong and hurtful. A VERY frustrating day, and I can tell you, this problem has been constant.

No comments: