Monday, October 20

Old Delhi:Baha'i Temple



*Note, I obviously didn't take this picture, as I don't own a helicopter, and while I did take lots of pictures I loved how this one highlighted the lotus flower shape. I just got it from google.

So, this was the first place we visited in Delhi. It an absolutely gorgeous temple. The grounds are beautiful. We had quite a few people taking pictures of us, which was strange, but really just foreshadowing. You have to take off your shoes before you enter the temple, and they require quiet inside. Members of all religions are encouraged to worship there to whichever god they may believe in. Around the center circle are tons of chairs, and each 'lotus blossom' holds a small podium with an inscription of an important saying according to the Baha'i tradition.

To be honest I've always had a hard time understanding Eastern religions, perhaps because I believe spiritual belief must encompass a life fully if it is to be followed, rather than half-heartedly choosing to believing a higher force and let that be that. I've had a hard time finding much on the Baha'i tradition, but I know it does not believe in idols, which is something new for a lot of Indians, being Hindu, who have idols everywhere. It is interesting that it was hard for the Indian community to accept the temple, which you can read about on the webpage for the temple. The Lotus flower is of course significant, and is am important symbol in Indian culture as well.

I suppose I got an appreciation of beauty and for the amazing works man can create, but for me I had no spiritual experience there, which I've found is true of all temples in India. Many people find other places of worship separate from their own religion to still be able to inspire a spiritual experience, but I don't think I'm one of them. Kind of just made me miss the Iglesia Merced.

No comments: