Wednesday, October 22

Faridabad: First Impression

So, the place where I'll be staying is Faridabad. This is basically a very, very large suburb of Delhi. When we first arrived, I noticed an abundance of slums, and a lot of animals, mostly pigs roaming around. It looked how I imagined The poorer sects of India to look. However, Faridabad is a huge place, and there are also very busy streets, and an abundance of malls, all small, but there are many nonetheless. Everything is crowded, and dirty, and pretty downright congested, but again, all how I expected. I guess I didn't expect quite so much trash or general filth, but I'm not sure why.

When we arrived I thought our house was very nice. It has three floors, but it's still very small, the entire space to live in is about the size of my living room at home. Yes, I have a large living room, but still. Where I live upstairs is even smaller, maybe the size of our smaller living room. Still, more than enough space for volunteers. I don't know what the family is going to do once their kids grow up though. Our room is just 5 beds all together, and that's pretty much it. I pushed all my stuff under my bed, and I was ready to go! There is a slum in the backyard of the house, quite a large one, though not by India standards. All in all, I feel ok, but I'm wary, and not sure why. Hopefully it's unwarranted. I'm really ready to get started on actually helping!

No comments: