Thursday, October 16

Hindi Lessons

So, for about 4 days this week we had basic hindi lessons. I have to say I was disappointed by how little we learned. We learned a number of words, but we really only worked for maybe 2-3 hours a day, which consisted of Rajan writing words on the board and us repeating them after him. We learned only very basic sentence construction, and I felt I learned much more in my first week of spanish class than of Hindi. And Hindi grammatical structure is very easy to learn. It is simply subject object verb, rather than subject verb object like in english. But there are no articles like in spanish, which of course makes the romance languages so hard for someone based in a germanic language to learn. The pronunciation is very difficult, since the sounds are so different from english. The r is slightly rolled as in spanish, but the d's and t's are very different. I wish I could attach a video of me trying to say hindi words, but alas that will have to wait until I again have a computer with video. Anyhow, sukriya for reading my blog, and namaste!

1 comment:

Natasha said...

well shukriya for the very interesting blog posts, and a different insight into india , btw did u come through some pre conducted tour or gap vacation thingy?? how did u organise ur trip?