Thursday, June 12

Santiago Social Life

Well, I can´t say yesterday was particularly easy, nor is today. My cousin´s funeral is today, and my family and I have been on the phone quite a bit. I feel very guilty that I can´t be there, and of course a young death brings up many dark thoughts and feelings, but for the most part I´m trying to be positive. After all, what´s done is done, and while it will take time to heal, it lets me have a new perspective and appreciation for the life I´m slowly building here, and especially for the unity of my family.
Last night I went to dinner with J, a friend from P&G of J and M. The letters are really getting quite confusing, so I may have to just give it up, and ignore some peoples possible preference for anonymity. We went to a restaurant/bar, really more of a lounge, which was quite fun. I had a cosmopolitan, and determine that being away from college and losing a little weight from all this stress equals an easily intoxicated Jessica. So, I stuck to my one cosmo for the night, which to be honest, was the best cosmo I´ve ever had. I´m sorry New York, ya´ll don´t cut it anymore.
Anyway, it was a fun night of talking, meeting a new person, and just all out good times. J is from Mexico originally, but has lived in a bunch of countries in Latin America, and Miami. Thus, he speaks english. He is also relatively new to Chile, only having been here since January, so we have some of the same first complaints when moving anywhere new. It´s always nice to know you´re not alone. His friend is having a birthday party tonight, so I may go to that as well. Anyway, Chile is starting to look up, and hopefully these are good signs of things to come. And heaven help my spanish, it needs it.

No comments: