Tuesday, June 17

Chilean Stoplights

Ok, this is the first of very many many posts about things I´ve noticed but have had no time to post about, since I no longer have a computer. The first of these is Chilean stoplights.

I used to think New York driving was awful and scary. However that was before I´d been to Chile. It brings it all to a whole new level. Good lord! These people are crazy. First of all, you know how in New York when the walk sign starts blinking you get ten blinks to cross? Yeah, not so much here. You see blinking and you run, no matter where you are on the street. Because as soon as it stops, that means the green light is up, and you will die if you are in the street. I have been in the middle of the street and people have actually stepped on the gas full throttle, meaning they were two seconds away from killing me if I didn´t do cardio.

This may be one of the scariest parts of living here so far. You might think no big deal, she´s lived in the city, she knows how to walk. NO, it is completely different. In New York drivers openly hate pedestrians, honk at them, but never run over them. Here it is as if people walking across the street don´t exist. If I don´t burn my hand off with the damn calefecon, I´m going to be killed by a car that thinks red means, hurry, you might run it without getting killed. Just thought I´d share this little tidbit with those who might be thinking of braving the streets of Santiago themselves. Wear a helmet.

No comments: