Wednesday, June 25

Discos

Ok, so now that I have been to the disco a few times, I feel it deserves it´s own post. Not to mention I have a hilarious story that needs telling.

First off, I love dancing. I think it´s really really fun, and I don´t much care whether I´m good or not, or if I´m dancing alone or with someone, I just really love it. So of course, you´d think when I lived in New York I would go dancing all the time. Not so. This is because in New York men feel the need to hump you when you´re dancing. It´s awful, and it completely ruins the experience. Usually you just have to squeeze your way off the dance floor, cause it´s too much to handle. Chile is completely different. there is no humping, at least not to that degree, and of course latin men can do more than just move side to side, so they dance with you rather than on you. It´s so much fun, and actually dancing meregue or salsa is fun too, I just feel sorry for my partners, lol.

So last Thursday after the Chile vs. Venezuela game, which we won of course. A few of us decided to go to a club. Of course, I needed a ride home, so who was I to disagree? So we go, at around 12. Remember, I have the day off on Friday´s, all these people have real lives. Both of the guys I drove with are married, so they are super protective of me like a little sister. So we get to the club, we dance, good times. However, whenever a guy comes up trying to talk to me I get pulled away. Note no one even tries speaking to me in spanish. They go, you are american? And I go, sí. And they go, you are a perfect American specimen! and then my ´brothers´drag them away from me. The one time I did dance with someone, he got a 5 minute long speech about how I was a cousin and if he touched me the wrong way he would be dead. I have to say, I found this hilarious and quite heartwarming. Also note everytime I go people are like, where did you learn to dance, american´s usually cannot dance this way. I´m still determining if it´s a compliment.

So we decide to leave. Earlier married J (husband of M) tells me he´s going to take a cab home. He was pretty toasted at this point. He gives me my coat check ticket and bounces, or so I thought. So a half hour later L and I leave, only to recieve a call from J saying he is still there. So we do a U-turn, which I thought was too fast, and made me remark, you´re gong to kill me. L responds, do you want to drive? which in my experience only leads to bad things. He swerves right like he´s going to stop and let me drive, but instead jumps the curb and gets a flat tire. Needless to say, I, who does not have work tomorrow and is not the owner of the car, found this hilarious. So we pull into a gas station, call J, and he says he´ll walk . Some 20-30 min later, while we have still not gotten the car even jacked up, J waltzes into the gas station, with a glass of a drink in hand, which he stole from the bar. He is schockered. Again, hilarious. Long story short, it takes almost two hours total to change the tire. by now it is around 4 in the morning.

You would think my story is over, but no. We now had to get home. We decided to take J home first, because now he was worried M would be really upset and not let him inside. Of course, none of us thought to call her while we were changing the tire. So he calls her to let her know he´s coming. She is very upset and asks to speak to me. I tell her about the tire, but she didn´t believe me. And to be honest, it does sound like a complete lie, so I don´t blame her. She hung up, pretty furious and didn´t answer the phone for the rest of the night. At this point I´m all worried that she hates me, because I was in fact telling the truth! But, Chilean custom says you don´t trust anyone, and since she doesn´t know me that well, of course she wouldn´t trust me. I was not so accquainted with Chilean social customs as I am now, but they really do take a long time to truly let someone into the inner circle, and for the most part are just very untrusting. I don´t really see anything wrong with it, but it is definitely different, and a lot of gringa´s find it enormously frustrating.

So anyway, we´re driving, and all of a sudden, L realizes he´s lost. Great. We end up in Santiago centro, and we get J home a 4:30. Luckily M let him in, but I wasn´t in bed until 5. Needless to say it was a long night, with some not so good choices, but a great story.

1 comment:

Larry said...

Jess,

Don't forget to get some sleep and take care of yourself.