Wednesday, June 18

Creepy men exist everywhere

So, living in New York, you get catcalled a lot. Especially in public places like parks, or very busy streets. People hang out next to fountains or schools and there is just nothing you can do to avoid them. However, in New York, these people often huddle in little circles, so they don´t seem to just be loitering for the sake of hitting on women they know are just going to ignore them. In Santiago, they don´t play. During the day, men will line up on the street, sit in these lines on the sides of buildings and just wait for women to walk by and say things to them. I am most commonly called delicioso, which is far tamer than New York. I get bonita, linda, compliments actually, rather than phrases such as, I´d like to lick you, or other things I probably shouldn´t repeat on a public page, which is what I got everyday in New York. But the men lining the street crack me up. I can´t decide if they´re construction workers who just don´t do any work, or if they´re unemployed or what, but they sit there for hours! The whole day, against the wall of a store, occasionally mumbling to each other, but for the most part just being creepy. When the sun goes down they magically disappear, only to reappear the next day. All I can say is, it feels like home.

No comments: