Saturday, June 7

The Eyes of Chile

So, I've run into a little bit of a problem. Yesterday was a hard morning, but great night. I wanted to go get a phone, so I looked up the best plans, and then braved the subway and went on my search. It was a beautiful day, and if it didn't take so long to load pictures, I'd put them in right now, but I'll have to add them to the next post. So I walked to the subway, and braved that as well. Here, just like in New York, you have a card that works for the metro and bus systems. Only, there is no automated machine to give it to you, you have to wait in line. So, in my broken spanish I managed to buy one, in only a slightly longer time than it probably should have taken.

I got out in Providencia, where Avenida Providencia becomes Apoquindo. I walked around for nearly an hour trying to find this phone store, but alas, I couldn't find it, it must have closed at some point. So, by this time it's nearing lunch, and I was in a quite nice part of town, so I decided to eat at a cafe. And then, it began. The staring. I swear, this is not normal staring, this is like, boring into your soul staring. Everywhere I go, people stare at me. When I'm actively walking it's no big deal, because of course, I'm moving quickly. But while trying to find a place to eat, it seemed to be all I noticed. Anytime I slowed down I noticed people stopped their conversations, and just stared. For as long as I was in the vicinity of their eyesight. This is mostly men I'm talking about, which is why it's so disconcerting. In the U.S., I used to have some sort of sexual comment thrown at me all the time, but there is a stigma against staring there. People would yell these comments, and if they were near me, they would look, then look away, look, then look away. But here, it's not like that. Everyone stares and does not look away EVER.

So, I decided to just buy an empenada from a supermarket. I got a few other things I felt I was lacking, and was quite happy with my purchases when I went to leave. I even bought my first bottle of Chilean wine. When I went to pay, I was just about done when a bagboy at the register next to me bumped into me. He apologized, and then he looked. He went, oh-ho, and immediately started bagging my items. In Chile you tip baggers, and I wasn't about to get suckered into that, so I told him no. He stopped, crossed his arms, gave me a lilting smile, and stared. He didn't move, which meant I had to like push past him. And he just kept staring. And smiling. Like I was gonna throw him on the conveyor belt and start making passionate love to him. I got so flustered that I forgot my empenada. Luckily that's maybe 2 bucks, but still! I was so upset that I let those kinds of things affect me, when it's something I obviously have to get used to, with the blond hair and all. So I slinked back to my apartment in the blazing hot sun and sulked for a while.

Luckily, my mother knows someone who works for P&G Santiago, and he and his wife were taking me out to dinner. J, the husband, and M, the wife, were wonderful! They picked me up in their car, and I got to meet Bella, their adorable little white dog who was so sweet. They take her everywhere, in her own little carrying case. She's very cute. So they took me to a mall, Paris in Las Condes, a much more international area. I didn't get stared at so much, but Bella got quite a bit of attention! I bought a local phone, and a heater for my room. The phone plans here are outrageous, nearly 40-70 cents a minute, min, but what are you gonna do. Technology here is often more expensive than in the U.S., which is outrageous considering the average salary. Not to mention I'm not sure I even know how to function without a phone anymore, lol. But, I got a very cheap phone, with minimum minutes, which should work well while I'm here.

We then went to this pizza place for dinner that was AMAZING. The appetizers were delicious, and we got the camaron pizza, with shrimp on it that was truly just, superb. They served the pizza with this spicy sauce, with olive oil, fresh basil, red pepper flakes, garlic oil, and other deliciousness that was just wonderful. J and M are great, J is half chilean, born in California, but his parents sent him to Chile for high school so he would learn spanish and connect with his roots. He and M met in college, and lived in the U.S. for 6 years, just returning to Chile a year ago. M also works for P&G, both of them on the business side of things. Their very fun, and we got along wonderfully. J's dad was in the navy, just like my father and his family, so there was a connection there, and our senses of humor were just wonderful.

After dinner we went to starbucks while waiting to see Indiana Jones. All the guys working there wanted to know where I was from, what I was doing. When I told them I was going to med school next year to be a doctor, they looked dumbfounded, lol. I don't know if being a female doctor is rare, or if the dumb blond stereotype exists here in Chile too, but either way, they just couldn't believe I was a science nerd. They were very nice and very polite, and didn't stare! Lol, it made me feel a little better. Anyway, I had a wonderful time. And they're going to get me in touch with people at P&G my age, who can take me out on the town. And we might go to this little artisan village tomorrow, so we'll see.

Tonight I have to meet Emily, a girl who also has a blog on this site, who has lived in Chile for a few years. Her boyfriend is Chilean, and she moved for love. She's always seemed really nice, and when I first contacted her she told me I could always ask her for anything, and anyone who can make me feel a little less lonely is great. So, we're meeting at Cafe de la Barra, very close to my house later tonight. I'll write more later, but I've got to clea my room, Chao!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, the staring is something happens everywhere but in America! It happened to me everywhere in Europe (except Ireland) because of my red hair! You'll get used to it and learn to just stare back and then you'll notice yourself just staring at people and before you know it you're one of them, haha! Who wouldn't want to stare at you anyways though :)

Emily said...

Haha, I just saw this - I'm glad I seem nice! I really enjoyed meeting you, and we'll have to get together soon. Like I said, I'll keep you posted of any other gringa meet ups. Hope week 2 is going better than week 1, besos!