Wednesday, November 5

Survival Question

Walking around here makes you wonder. People must do anything to survive here, and perhaps it is why people seem so selfish to us. They are obsessed with money, it seems to be all anyone talks about, and this makes sense when it's a constant worry. People do so much, with so little return, and I begrudge those who try to cheat me. I don't know it's so hard, to know what you feel for, what you do. You can't give beggars money because they learn it works and they won't go to work. You harden yourself against the slum in your backyard. If you do give them food they mob you and get violent. And how much of my humanity do I guard and turn off so as not to be scarred by it all? By every child dirty and missing a limb becase their parent cut it off to get more begging money (yes this is common) I don't kow. But it's a very hard question to be faced with. I'll let you know what I decide.

No comments: