Wednesday, November 5

Sexism

One of the other frustrating aspects here in India is the sexism. It's not that it's overt, no one spits at me because I'm a woman, or such, but it is there, in every single action. The way they speak to you, as if you don't have an opinion, the way women rarely go out but to the market, the way they can't believe I'm going to be a doctor, the way I am ignored and always liked less than the men around me, the way they cater to mens needs before women, and how quite often they don't even ask me if I want anything at restaurants. Its infuriating because it's never something you can directly adress, because it's simply embedded in their thinking. Now I understand and appreciate the feminist movement, but I don't think feminists in America truly understad anymore, it hasn't been this bad for some time.

No comments: