Wednesday, November 5

A Family Affair

So, I went to a family affair! I've been left out always, only the boys have been invited, but I got invited! We went to the baby shower of Mrs. Bandhu. And I wore my saree. It was beautiful. It's interesting, the baby shower was just for family, consisted of lunch, a small religious ceremony and tea time. I saw wedding pictures, and people kind of talked to me, but for the most part they just talked about me in Hindi. And it was condescending. Very. You can tell. Although one girl called me sundar, which means beautiful. I dunno, it was nice, the families are very close knit, very attentive to children, but not very warm or open. They did let me feed the couple as part of the religious ceremony. It was great to see, but not looking to jump into that situation again. They really were quite nice, but they obviously thought I was not too smart, and although some of them really were very nice, I think they were just interested cause I was different. If I spoke Hindi, it would be different, but they automatically decided not to like me because I didn't. They even talked about it in Hindi. Luckily half of conversations are in English, so I knew what they were saying. Sigh, I can't wait for people to like america again.

No comments: